Friday, November 15, 2013

NaNo 2013: Day 15

So I had an interview today. I'm not sure how it went. I have a feeling I won't match there. I hope I do, but I have a hunch I won't. Maybe if I start preparing myself now, I won't be devastated come March.

Anyway, I did manage to actually do my word count for today, though it was pretty hard with the kids upstairs running around, and getting a headache, and just overall feeling exhausted. And there's no fluffy couches at my mom's place to chill out on, which makes it really difficult to get into writing. You don't realize how much you rely on certain conditions until you're without them again. Next week's interview should be interesting, since I'll lose about 12 hours to driving, and won't be staying in a hotel, so I'll actually have to play friends with my host. We'll see how it goes.

Here's your excerpt for today. It relates directly to the events in Hidden Souls. I'm not entirely sure how much of this plot I'm going to keep, and how much I'm going to use it to revise HS. We'll see, I suppose.

Sophia heard footsteps coming from around the corner. Without thinking, she jumped behind one of the tall pallets of sand surrounding the outside wall of the warehouse. The lights swung back and forth, the bulbs covered with grime and shining a dull light on the rows of boxes. She could hardly make out her own hand, let alone anything else in the large room. Still, the sound of foot falls got louder as she started to make out a faint whisper. Straining to hear more, she leaned over to look around the pallet.

"We have done everything you've asked," a man said, his voice strained with tension.

"Not everything, I'm afraid. You were to make sure that no one else knew she was here," a soft, feminine voice responded. "I understand that there was a girl here, that she was snooping around in the office upstairs."


NaNo Stats:
Days: 15
Words today: 1766
Total Words: 13,018
Words Remaining: 36,982
Average words per day: 868

On the bright side, the word count in Google Drive seems to match up fairly well with the NaNo validator, so maybe it won't be so difficult to hit my word count on the last day.

No comments:

Post a Comment