Monday, November 11, 2013

NaNo 2013: Days... 5-11

Yes. I fail. I know. Last week was just crazy busy. An interview, followed by 4 days of schedule changing shifts. And trying to catch up on sleep. And coming down with a cold. So when I finally finished my rotation on Saturday, I just wanted to zonk out. In fact, I was so exhausted on Friday night that I didn't even eat dinner before I fell asleep around 7. Then I had to be back at work at 7 on Saturday morning to work a 12 hour shift.

On the bright side, I did have a pretty good clinical week. I was called the best medical student in the hospital. Which wasn't a terribly impressive feat, given that it was at like 10 at night, and I'm pretty sure I was the only fourth year working in the hospital. But, I did contribute to saving a man's life, so I guess I deserved it. So, priorities what they were, writing fell to the wayside last week. And then with this cold, thanks to a precious kid I saw in the ED the other night, I just wanted to lay in bed and catch up on whatever I could find on Netflix.

But, I'm back. I managed to sit down and actually crank something out tonight. Not sure how much of it makes sense, but it's a start. I think I'll probably crank out another 1000 words or so before going to bed, assuming I don't fall asleep trying to write them. But I'm still super behind, so it'll be a fun week. On the bright side, I'm almost entirely packed for my trip on Wednesday, and I'll be spending a fair amount of time on airplanes and in airports, so hopefully I'll be able to crank out some serious wordage then. You know, when I don't actually have internet access. One can only hope. This is, of course, assuming that I can access Google Drive offline, or can find some alternative for writing on my iPad. It's really not designed for this type of thing, you know.

Anywho, here's your teaser for today:

A low hum sounded in the distance, and she blinked rapidly, instinctively knowing that something was coming toward her in the dark. Balling her hands into fists, she crouched low and continued to survey the scene. A soft laugh echoed through the room, which grew slowly, steadily more bright, like the pre-dawn sky.

“Who’s there?” she demanded, her voice sounding hoarse and unused.

“Come now, don’t you remember me?” a distorted voice called out.

Sophia looked around for the source of the voice, but the space was empty. Walls began to form around her, trapping her in an enclosed area with no hope of escape. “Where am I?”



NaNo Stats:
Days: 11
Words today: 1754
Total Words: 7432
Words Remaining: 42,468
Average words per day: 684

No comments:

Post a Comment